Saturday, September 10, 2011

Austerity Times

To deal with reduced financial circumstances, I've temporarily had to implement austerity measures. I'm hoping it won't be for long, because two weeks in I'm already missing the little perks in life, but in the meantime here are a few things I am not allowed to indulge in:
  • Bars. Drinking is allowed only within the confines of a house.
  • Eating out. But, austerity measures are not about being cheap, so if a friend treats you, you still need to reciprocate.
  • Parking tickets/towing fees. So hard to resist their allure.
  • Pottery lessons. Big frowny face.
  • Yoga? Still trying to figure that one out because I'm not sure I can live without it.
  • Clothes. If you have enough clothes that they overflow your ample drawer space AND several boxes in the basement, it's enough. (I may have slipped up a bit this afternoon when I HAPPENED to be on the JCrew website and saw some crazy sales. But I put it on a gift card, so it doesn't count.)
  • A Smartphone. I'm up for a new phone from Verizon, and had planned on joining the masses and getting an iPhone. But it'll have to wait. (On a related note, when did it become so rare to only have a Dumbphone??)
  • Gas. Hence, I am biking everywhere. Which means I am often sweaty, a bit smelly, and very buff.
  • Cheese that costs more than $8. Not totally sure I can live without that, either, but we'll see.
  • Mani/pedis and waxes. Sorry in advance for all the extra hair.
And here are a few things that can help one get through Austerity Times:
  • Friends who are also on austerity measures to plan fun, low-cost activities with and help you stick to the plan.
  • Benefactors who ship you boxes of free clothes. Because there's always a LITTLE bit more space in those drawers. Or in the basement. Or on the floor. (Thanks, D.)
  • Foraging. Rather than head to the farmer's market and purchase pricey organic berries for my annual late summer jam-making extravaganza, as I have in the past, I visited a few crab apple trees near my parents' house last week and picked away, free of charge. On the way back, my arms laden down with apple bags, I was inspired when I passed some Rugosa roses and noticed their bulging hips, and I picked some of those, too. I also found some elderberries, but at that point I was running short on time and had to stick with my first two finds (but I have high hopes for next year!). Downside to foraging: Lots of worms. Like, really lots. I'm pretty sure neither my apple jam nor my rose hip jelly can be considered vegetarian. Upside: extra protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment