Monday, January 30, 2012

Priorities

The past week, as I've been getting to know Monkeyboy better through the steady stream of hilarious texts he's been sending plus a long ice skating/Chinese food/beers date on Saturday, I've been comparing my current list of must-have qualities in a boyfriend to what my priorities were five or six years ago. I had recently broken up with my long-term boyfriend, l'Artista, and was hoping to find someone similar to him but without the commitment issues. My list of non-negotiable qualities would probably have looked something like this:
  • Smart
  • Good-looking
  • Has his life together (although at the time if I'd met a cutie whose life was a mess I might have been willing to compromise on this one)
  • Funny
  • Wants to get married and have a family

Unfortunately, I ended up with La Moustache, who met (or seemed to meet) all the requirements. I like to think I've learned a thing or two in the meantime. The list hasn't completely changed -- some of the items are identical, and a few are only slightly adjusted -- but here's the current list with new items in bold:

  • Smart and thoughtful
  • Has his life together and a job he is passionate about
  • I'm attracted to him ( how objectively handsome he is is immaterial)
  • He thinks I'm awesome
  • Funny
  • Willing to talk about his feelings
  • Wants to get married and have a family

So far, Monkeyboy is doing well in all categories. His biggest selling point (other than the fact that he's the funniest guy I've ever dated) is that he's really excelling in the "He thinks I'm awesome" section. Which is maybe the most important quality of all.

Anyone have any different qualities on their lists, or suggestions for additions to mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment