Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kiddie tales

I told my 6th graders today that Maurice Sendak died.

"Who's that?" they asked.

When I told them, one of them shrieked. "I love that man! He made me childhood dreams come true."


I love how she used that clichéd phrase in a different, insightful way. It's been too long since I was a kid for me to remember well, but I think I felt the same way.

*******

On a recent afternoon in my knitting club, the following conversation occurred:

2nd grade girl #1: Do you have kids?

Me: No.

2nd grade girl #1: Do you have a husband?

Me: No.

2nd grade girl #1: That's sad.

Me: Errrr.....

2nd grade girl #2: No, it's not! It's not sad at all. She gets to spend time with kids all the time. Every day! If she didn't it would be sad.

Phew! For a second there I thought my life was depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment